Most mental health experts agree that a holistic approach to healing is dependent on the entire person approach. But one misnomer that people often look over is a persons oral health.
Oral Health Affects Mental Health
Poor or neglected oral health can severely damage a persons personal value and self confidence which has much more detrimental effects on mental health as a person may think. primarily it affects how an individual sees themselves and can inhibit a persons confidence and can even cause more serious implications such as depression, lack of self confidence and even anxiety. Take for example some one who has severe yellowing of the teeth or even may need corrective braces. Not being able to smile o
r even express yourself can really deter a persons self worth.
How Oral Health Determines How We See Others
Often, bad teeth is associated with conditions such as gum disease, oral cavities, mouth cancer, and temporomandibular joint dysfunction syndrome (TMJ), as dentists tells us about the effects of poor oral hygiene. However, bad teeth can also have an impact psychologically and the way we perceive others.
In a survey done by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, it was revealed that 92% of respondents think that a pretty smile is a vital societal asset. 85% believe having a crooked smile isn’t attractive to the opposite sex. 75% judge a person’s success based on their ugly smiles and half of the reviewers deem bad teeth as a consequence of poor oral hygiene.
“After a handshake, a friendly smile is one of the most important elements in creating a good first impression. However it’s hard to smile if you’re self-conscious about teeth that are yellow or stained.” – School of Dental Medicine at the University of New York.
Are you ready to experience the positive effects of Invisalign®? Do you have questions regarding oral care and your options? The team of Ricci Orthodontics is here to help. Along with Invisalign®, we also provide the following services for our patients:
- Braces– While the positive effects of Invisalign® are clear, it’s not always the best option for patients. We offer traditional braces to help correct more serious orthodontic issues.
- TruDenta®– This new, modern system allows us to treat a range of orofacial problems and disorders. This can help treat issues like headaches, vertigo, tinnitus, and migraines.
- Retainers– To ensure teeth stay in their proper place and don’t shift after hardware, we fit our patients with retainers. Patients will wear these at night usually to keep teeth where they should be.
- Patient education– We want our patients to make the best, educated decision possible for their care. Not only will we educate patients on the butir care options, the team will also educate them on oral and hardware care as well.
- Two-phase orthodontics– This option is best for younger patients in need of help to adjust their teeth.